Tuesday 4 June 2013

Being Jealous of Talented People

Junior Quartet this morning.  Yesterday the news broke that our first violinist is, very sadly, leaving the country in a few months. 

Girl: Who's going to replace Violin 1 when she goes?  Is it going to be a grade 5?  Is it going to be D?
Me: I've had a quick chat with Ms T, and we have an idea, but we can't tell you just yet. 
Violin 1: Is it going to be a grade 5?  Or a grade 4?
Violin 2: Please not a grade 4! Because I really don't want it to be L.Z. - I hate her!
Me [taken aback]: Wow.  But she's really nice, and really good at violin [one of those kids who just picks it up without any worries]
Violin 2 [agitated]: But I hate her!  I'm doing grade one piano, and she's doing grade FIVE!  It's just not fair!  Although, she is Chinese- [gasp]
Me: Wow. 
Violin 2: I'm so sorry-
Me: Mm, that's a bit racist...
Violin 2: I didn't- I mean, I- Oh you know what I mean, she's just so good.  And I'm not!

No comments:

Post a Comment