Saturday 15 June 2013

A Mob Hit

12-yr-old girl arrives, with her violin case under one arm. 

Me: Hi, how are- is it safe?  You're not going to shoot me, are you?
Girl [giggling]: No, I'm not, I mean - no.  Does it look like it?
Me: You don't have a machine gun hiding in there or anything?
Girl [narrowing eyes, starting to aim]: Er... [pauses like she's thinking about it] No. 

Later, she noticed my globe, which uses different stones for the different countries.  It used to live behind the TV but I moved it into the open.

Girl: That is so cool.  [flash of inspiration] You could use it to plan your next mob hit.
Me [blinking]: What? [obviously I'm old, and was thinking Mafia at this point]
Girl: You know, your next mob.  Like that guy, he organised that mob - where they all got together and they did that thing, and it was really cool, everyone just jumped up-
Me [penny dropping]: Oh, I ge-
Girl: And they all played together-
Me: You mean a flash mob.  Not the Mob, mob.
Girl: What?  Yeah, the mob.  The cool mob thing.
Me: Not the Mafia.
Girl [with the What's My Teacher Talking About look]: No.  What?
Me: After you came in here carrying your violin like that, I just- I had Mafia on the brain. 
Girl: No... But you should use this!  Get everyone playing violin, it would be so cool!

I guess she's onto my plans for world domination...

No comments:

Post a Comment