Thursday 18 April 2013

Watching Too Much

Last year, I conducted the young string group.  Everyone knows that nobody watches the conductor - but I was trying very hard to get them to watch.  As it turned out, not entirely futilely.  On a day when they'd all been given sugar just before the rehearsal (thanks, whoever was responsible for that one), one of the girls then crashed into her stand.  It was like she just fell off the front of her chair, into the music stand, which then fell over taking the folder and all its music with it, followed by kids from random places around the room getting up with their instruments trying to help, causing more mayhem. 

Me [to stand-crashing girl]: Are you okay?
Girl [a little embarrassed]: Yes...
Me: Are you sure?
Girl: Um, yep...  I ... Can I get some-
Girl 2: Ooh, ooh, I'll get her some ice!
Girl 3: Can I get her some ice too?  I'll help! 
Girl 4: I know where it is!
Me: Everyone sit down.  [instructions for calm collection of ice pack from the adjacent staff room followed.  Girl 1 was still looking a bit shaken and sheepish]  Are you sure you're okay?
Girl: Um, yes... I was- I was just- I was watching you.  Like, like this [proceeds to do an intense stare that pulls her head forward, and her whole body starts coming forward as well...]
Me: Stop!  I get the picture.  No need to do this all over again.
Girl: Oh yeah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment