Tuesday 16 April 2013

Dealing With Ballet

It took me many years to realise that many students thought they were relaxed when they were anything but.  And then I realised that most of these girls (yes, girls) were also ballet girls.  There is no relaxation for these girls.  Today, I had a very enthusiastic 11-yr-old dancer trying to convince me she was as relaxed as she could be.

Girl: That is relaxed.
Me: ...Ummm... I can't move your hand at all.  That's not relaxed.
Girl: It's - it's because of ballet!  It's just - ugh.  I can't do relaxed.
Me [with a lightbulb moment]: Oh... Of course.  Can you just... pretend... that ballet doesn't exist...?  Or just ... forget everything you've learned there...?
Girl: Um, not really.  No.  [brightening] Unless you want to talk to my ballet teacher?
Me: Ah, okay. 
Girl [thoughtful]: Ooh.  But - you'd have to wear a business suit.
Me: Okay.
Girl: And high heels.
Me: Ye-
Girl: And more make up.  AND talk in a posh voice.
Me [starting to laugh]: Um, okay.  [posh voice] I think I can manage that.
Girl [enthusiastically]: That was great!  Okay, that should work.

Of course, she didn't tell me the dance teacher's name.  But from how much I know from this girl's life, I should be able track down this teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment